But in the rest, do we throw it, or do we eat it? When mold in food becomes harmful to health? Surprisingly, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture has detailed information and recommendations on what to do and what not to do when finding mold in food. The use of the mold remediation company happens to be essential now.
- If a food contains a lot of water, and it already has a lot of molds, make sure that the roots of this fungus have already reached all the food. In general terms, brown mold is the most harmful of all, green and white, are usually harmless.
The foods that must definitely be thrown away if mold is detected, are cold cuts, bacon, sausage, meats, pasta, cooked grains, yogurts, jams, creams or soft cheeses such as cream or cottage and on the other hand FSIS recommends discarding cheeses that are already made with molds, such as Roquefort, blue, brie and camembert, if they develop molds that are not part of the manufacturing process, because they can be dangerous.
Open windows remove mold
How to prevent mold
The ideal conditions for mold to appear are very humid and a little hot. It spreads through the air and it can take years until they germinate, so the only way we can prevent its occurrence is by monitoring and controlling the humidity in the home.
Whether you live on the coast, or if it rains a lot in your city, you can know if there is humidity in a very effective way, since it is something that really shows. The musty smell, charged atmosphere and sticky textiles are usually of the most obvious characteristics.
Here we share some tips to reduce the humidity level of your home in the easiest and most economical way possible.
- Reduces the consumption of gas heaters and butane stoves, since it maintains high humidity levels that favor the appearance of fungi.
- Keep the house ventilated. The easiest solution is to have the windows open and allow indoor and outdoor air to circulate. With only 20 minutes the air can now be renewed. If it is summer and there is little wind, you can connect a fan.
Use cross-ventilation. As simple as opening the window opposite the place you want to ventilate.
The article that may interest you: Benefits of seeds in our diet
- Store clothes outside the home, since wet clothes emit a lot of water every hour (almost 500 grams). Leave the portable clotheslines behind. If you don’t have a terrace or clothesline in your house, put the clothesline near a window and keep it open until you can remove the clothes.
- Install an exhaust fan in the bathroom. In the bathroom is where more moisture is generated since in steam the water contributes 2500 grams per hour. Therefore, the best option is to install an exhaust fan.
Reduce the time of the showers, and if it can do them at room temperature. Place the lid of the pan when cooking, otherwise, every hour of boiling a liter of water will go into the air. Use the extractor hood while cooking or open the window, so you will remove the fumes and steam from the water.